*** In April 2018, a large number of people who had reserved did not arrive. If you are not coming, please TELL US so that other people can book. If this problem recurs, we may have to charge a non-refundable deposit when you book. ***
You can make a booking up to midday on the last day before the Open Weekend. Take note of the booking reference number and, if you want to check your booking, come back to this page and put it in the box below. You can cancel but not amend a booking made through the Internet; if you want to amend a booking, please contact the Club by email or cancel the booking and make a fresh one. Please do not send any payment before the day.
Pre-booked visitors who do not arrive at the ticket desk fifteen (15) minutes before the trip time will lose their tickets which will be sold to anyone waiting for a trip.
We normally take a maximum of 14 on a trip and accept a number of advance bookings per trip. On the space availability page, you will see which times are full or getting close to full. If you cannot pick a time that suits you, complete the enquiry form and we will see if we can accommodate you. The routes can vary during the day with some involving easy crawling or descents down a ladder or chain. If you are unsure whether the trip is suitable for you, read the FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) or contact the club.
DON'T FORGET THAT SOME SPACE IS LEFT FOR PEOPLE WHO TURN UP ON THE DAY.
Space will probably be available on all of these trips on the day for people turning up on spec and other trips may be arranged between the booking times when we have leaders available but no prior booking will be available for the additional trips.
Data protection: Names, e-mail addresses and telephone numbers collected by the booking system are not used for any other purpose. However, without a name and a means of contacting you, we cannot accept a booking so making a booking means you give consent to our holding and using this information. You can make an enquiry to see what information we hold. If you want the details removed after the Open Weekend, please contact the Webmaster or use the enquiry box below. Further details and a contact email address are on our Data Protection page.
Thanks. Booking Manager. Today is: 17 Jan 2019
Please read these guidelines
1. The mines involve going down uneven steps, ducking through low places and sometimes crawling on hands and knees. The crawls can usually be avoided but the low roofs in places cannot. Please take account of this. Check with your leader before the trip as the route can usually be altered to suit the group.
2. You will get sand and some mud on your shoes and clothes. It washes out but may leave stains in very light-coloured clothing. Footwear should be suitable for outdoor walking.
3. Let the leader know before you enter the mine if you have any health condition that might affect your visit or you have any particular fears of the dark or confined spaces. Take any urgent medication with you.
4. If you or anyone else in your party gets into any difficulty, call the leader immediately. This includes lights failing.
5. Wear a helmet at all times in the mine. Your light should be fixed on the helmet so that both hands are free.
6. Pay attention to the instructions given by your leader. Listen carefully when asked to be quiet.
7. Do not stray away from the group either singly or in a small group. If you want to stop to look at something or to take photographs, ask the leader to stop so that you are not left behind the group.
8. If you become separated from the group, stay where you are, you will be found quicker.
9. When climbing a ladder, use the safety line provided. Wait until the person before is off the ladder and your leader says you can start climbing. Do not look up because there is a risk of sand coming down from above.
10. Do not throw sand or stones at each other, down shafts or over bridges.
11. Do not touch or climb on walls made of stacked rocks as they might collapse and are also part of the history of the mine. Keep away from deep water and do not enter a water-filled passage unless told by your leader that it is safe.
12. Do not smoke in the mines or drop litter.
Demonstration of ore processing in Engine Vein
Chain Steps in Wood Mine
Hands and knees crawling
A group of visitors in Sand Cavern in Wood Mine
In the main chamber in Engine Vein
In North End Chambers, Wood Mine